Welcome to THE HUNGER GAMES~!

About Us:

We are students of a Modern Novels class in Southridge High School. And we will be commenting about the book, THE HUNGER GAMES. THE HUNGER GAMES is the 1st book to the trilogy by Suzanne Collins.


Monday, February 7, 2011

Meeting #5 - Literary Luminary ch. 18-21

Amazingly similar in execution. A bow pulled, an arrow shot. Entirely different in the aftermath. I killed a boy whose name I don't even know. Somewhere his family is weeping for him. His friends call for my blood. Maybe he had a girlfriend who really believed he would come back. . . . pg243 ch 18 Are you interested in how the author uses figurative language?
It reads so smoothly that figurative language actually just passes me by. It'd not really interesting, but then again I hardly even notice it.
Does the passage signal a significant shift in a character's fate?
It definitely signals that Katniss took a mental blow. It appears as yet another obstacle to survival that she doesn't feel right killing people.
Is there something shocking or surprising here? The fact that she's been hunting all her life and now she's hunted a human, it's shocking how similarly they were killed, and shocking how different what that kill means is.
Cato kneels beside Clove, spear in hand, begging her to stay with him. In a moment, he will realize it's futile, she can't be saved. I crash into the trees, repeatedly swiping away the blood that's pouring into my eye, fleeing like the wild, wounded creature I am. After a few minutes, I hear the cannon and I know that Clove has died, and Cato will be on one of our trails. Either Thresh's or mine. I'm seized with terror, weak from my wound, shaking. I load an arrow, but Cato can throw that spear almost as far as I can shoot. pg 289 ch21

Are you interested in how the author uses figurative language?
I love the way the author shows how Katniss feels through her thoughts, you can obviousely tell she's gone into a panic and all she cares about at this point is survival.
Does the passage signal a significant shift in a character's fate?
Katniss is struggling for survival, I think the shift in her fate is apparent when she puts survival above all else.
Is there something shocking or surprising here?

Not particularly shocking or surprising, but the suspense is held high through this passage, and I find myself reading it as fast as i possibly can every time to get to the next event after the action.

2 comments:

  1. I was really interested in the second passage because throughout the whole book Collins made Cato seem like a complete savage who doesn't care about anyone in the games, but know she turned the table so that Katniss seemed a little savage. I think nearing the end of the games, the reality of it all and how fake of an atmosphere has been created for them comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These two passages are strong moments for the audience and the author creates a lot of suspense for the readers. The descriptions of the actions are so breathtaking that sometimes I can't tell if it actually happened or not to Katniss and the other characters. :o

    ReplyDelete