Welcome to THE HUNGER GAMES~!

About Us:

We are students of a Modern Novels class in Southridge High School. And we will be commenting about the book, THE HUNGER GAMES. THE HUNGER GAMES is the 1st book to the trilogy by Suzanne Collins.


Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Meeting #3 Literary Luminary Chapter 10-13

PASSAGE #1 (Page 143-144)
-->"Still? I'm a statue. But that doesn't prevent me from feeling the sharp stab of pain as the needle inserts the metal tracking device deep under the skin on the inside of my forearm. Now the Gamemakers will always be able to trace my whereabouts in the arena. Wouldn't want to lose a tribute."
~Significance to plot/Emotional/intellectual impact
Although this quote uses a literal sense, Katniss feels the Gamemakers "in her" (like a sort of branded curse). Katniss has been hunting the majority of her life and now she begins to understand what it's like to be hunted not by the other contestants, but by the Gamemakers.
~Author usage on figurative language
Collins uses a brief phrase describing when Katniss felt like a statue. This one simple sentence is a metaphor. She's not really a statue, but she doesn't just feel immobile from the puncture of the needle, but the keen and watchful eyes of the Gamemakers. I think this foreshadows when Katniss is out in the woods, she has to be calm so she won't be killed. I find it interesting when the Gamemakers placed the tracking device "in" the contestants, it shows a sense of "branding".
~Significant shift in character's fate
This quote is not exactly a huge shift in the character's fate, but Katniss's beginning into the cursed games. I thought it was interesting how the Gamemakers have to track down the players. Using these devices it reminds me of when cows are branded by the company's trademark.
PASSAGE #2 (Page 159)
--> "The sky is still dark, but I can feel the first signs of dawn approaching. I'm beginning to think we-meaning the person whose death I'm now devising and I-we might actually have gone unnoticed. Then I hear it. Several pairs of feet breaking into a run. The fire starter might have dozed off. They're on her before she can escape. I know it's a girl now, I can tell by the pleading, the agonized scream that follows."
~Significance to plot/Emotional/intellectual impact
Although this passage is not the climax of the book, this shows what may have happened to Katniss if she is not careful like this unfortunate girl. In my opinion, this moment in the book is supposed to frighten the audience. I think the dark sky represents or foreshadows a certain event in the novel. This gruesome scene probably shows that the players have lost their sense of humanity and their consciences.
~Author usage on figurative language
This passage doesn't actually have a direct figurative language element, but I thought that it showed a good piece of symbolism. I thought the dawn represented the night that the blood has been spilt. It also foreshadows that it will soon be time when Katniss will have to mercilessly murder like the other contestants to survive on this barbaric show. This is part of the rising action where Katniss will have to step up in the games.
~Significant shift in character's fate
Katniss has to change her own character soon to adjust to The Hunger Games. Although she hasn't barbarically killed anyone yet, she knows that if she doesn't act up now, she will fall like the other unfortunate contestants. This scene is significant because I think this is the "start" for her murderous and cold-blooded adventure.
QUESTIONS
*What do you guys think about these two events in this book?
* In passage 2, do you guys think that Katniss will have to adjust her own character to survive?
*In passage 1, do you think the Gamemakers have other intentions of inserting the device "in" them?

2 comments:

  1. great job analyzing the passage, this reminds me of the ice queen that can turn people to stone and how much control she has over them. Just like I feel the capital has control over Katniss and the other tributes, the only way to get away from them is not to confront them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, that's a lot of writing. Like, a lot.

    I thought those passages were very suspenseful to read. I like that she mentions how they place a tracker in her arm, that way the cameras can always follow her. They could probably do this without the trackers, but with them they know for sure there is no escape.

    Katniss was right to not light a fire that night. I think she's so used to surviving on her own that she won't even have to change her ways much to keep surviving.

    ReplyDelete