Welcome to THE HUNGER GAMES~!

About Us:

We are students of a Modern Novels class in Southridge High School. And we will be commenting about the book, THE HUNGER GAMES. THE HUNGER GAMES is the 1st book to the trilogy by Suzanne Collins.


Thursday, February 3, 2011

Lit Role 02/03 Literary Luminary Ch.14-17

Quote 1:
"One year, a girl dropped her token, a small wooden ball, while she was at her plate and they literally had to scrape bits of her off the ground"(219)
This really stuck with me because it was so corrupt and unfair. All the capital wants is a good show, and they immediately take advantage of people's mistakes. I kept thinking before I read this passage that somehow Katniss would get out of the hunger games without having to die or kill someone else, but this passage made me think the chance of that was slim. Also this passage takes a gruesome event and makes it seem like a common thing, which I guess it is in the world of the hunger games.
Also I like how Collins describes the token as a small wooden ball because it makes the explosion that much of an overreaction to the girls accident.

Quote 2:
"Another blast knocks me flat on my face. A stray mine, set off by some collapsing crate. This happens twice more. I'm reminded of those last few kernels that burst when Prim and I pop popcorn over the fire at home"(223)
This represents Katniss' longing for home as well as how used to the games she has already gotten. In a moment of danger, when you're completely hopeless to the thing happening in that moment, all you think about is how much you wish you could see your loved ones one last time. That's why I think Katniss relates the bomb to home.
You could also interpret this passage as Katniss has gotten so used to the everyday occurence of life-threatening conditions that it's like making popcorn at home.
In all, this passage has a sad tone that I think Collins sets you up to think Katniss might be at her breaking point.

2 comments:

  1. These 2 passages are two powerful messages. While the first speaks of the Capitol's corrupt state, the 2nd passage speaks of the rising action that may soon come with the climax of the novel. Katniss obviously misses her family and her friends back in district 12 and she is gradually losing more and more hope that she will get back as the game proceeds on with Rue gone. She eventually realizes, she is on her own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these passages. This book definately has a lot of really good parts like that, I had trouble picking between 6 or so passages for my own literary luminary role xD

    ReplyDelete