Welcome to THE HUNGER GAMES~!

About Us:

We are students of a Modern Novels class in Southridge High School. And we will be commenting about the book, THE HUNGER GAMES. THE HUNGER GAMES is the 1st book to the trilogy by Suzanne Collins.


Friday, February 18, 2011

#1. Reflection – The Hunger Games

My first impression on the book was that it was going to be a drag. I found it to be a very slow beginning, with the reaping and Hunger Games an unknown event, and the world had yet to be painted for me. Since the story has such a deep, complex setting, it takes a while to get introduced.

By the time I'd finished the novel, I wanted more. It left me with an incredible adventure, and stopped right at a place where the story is in a breaking point, but that makes you want to go out and buy the next book right away. Very smart of the author to do. This method lead me through not only the second book but the third as well.

I liked the part of the book when Peeta confessed to Katniss in her beautiful flaming dress, when Katniss shot the arrow at the Gamemakers, when Katniss blew up the Career's supplies, when she sung to Rue and decorated her with flowers, and the part where she and Peeta stay alive through threats of double suicide. I didn't like the part where Katniss had to take care of Peeta. There was just too much down time, and it all felt fake. Completely fake, especially coming from Katniss. It made me think a lot less of her than I had before. Because she doesn't really love Peeta, and she's leading him on, which isn't fair to him.

I think a lot of Katniss' ramblings should have been left out. She literally spends pages telling of the past, even made up stories, or fretting that her family might be destroyed. It doesn't make anyone like her. Katniss is the hero of the story, she should have the strength and courage.. Especially the brains to figure out they wouldn't kill a tribute's family. That would cause uproars.

No comments:

Post a Comment