Welcome to THE HUNGER GAMES~!

About Us:

We are students of a Modern Novels class in Southridge High School. And we will be commenting about the book, THE HUNGER GAMES. THE HUNGER GAMES is the 1st book to the trilogy by Suzanne Collins.


Thursday, January 27, 2011

Lit Role Discussion Director 01/27 Chapter 6-9

1. Effie Trinket's name is always said in full, why do you think Collins does this?
Effie Trinket is a very professional person that you think is only in it for the fame, so I think Collins says her name in full so that there's some distance between her and the reader. That distance doesn't make you realize what her real personality is, she is probably a very caring person behind that professional demeanor.

2. How do you think the mockingjays play into the hunger games, and what do you think the birds in general symbolize?
The mockingjays are delirious of reality but sing their sweet song no matter what distress is going on in the real world. I think it will be a connection to home for Katniss and pull her out when she's on the brink of going crazy. It also Symbolizes Katniss, how she can fly into the trees and escape the torment of the games happening right below her feet. Maybe in the future she will imitate the skills of other tributes, like the mockingjay imitates the songs of others.

3. The Hunger Games depicts a post-apocolyptic United States, do you think that some of their behaviors also show traces in our society today?
You're always going to see people trying to survive in reality and in the book, so I think that's one of the big similarities between the book and the U.S., but a big difference is the sense of freedom we have here that is definitely not present in the book.

4. If you are enjoying the book, do you feel guilt at knowing that you are like the many people in the capital enjoying the violence and tension of the games? If yes, do you feel like Collins did this on purpose?
At one point when I was reading I pondered this and then felt like I was one of the people in the arena watching the big screen where their interviews are being broadcast. At this point I felt amazed that the author could pull such a personal experience into the book. Although I don't feel particularly guilty, more like I can understand the helplesness all the citizens are going through.

5. Gale's character is inbetween that of a friend and a lover, how do you think Peeta's relationship with Katniss compares to hers and Gales?
The relationship between Katniss and Peeta seems hostile, which I think is tragic because they could be teaming with each other to try to stop the games. The relationship between Katniss and Gale seems loving but not yet to romance, they fully trust each other and I think that trust would be the same with Katniss and Peeta if they weren't in this situation. It frustrates me that Katniss doesn't trust Peeta when he saved her life in the past. Peeta and Katniss' relationship could surpass Gale's if they actually trusted one another.

2 comments:

  1. 1. I think Collins puts Effie Trinket's name in full in order to distinguish the type of power she has possibly. It may symbolize the amount of "power" she has in the games.
    2. I think the Mockingjay symbolizes the hope and "freedom" Katniss has. The way Mockingjays fly gives them a sense of freedom. I believe it also means Katniss's rebellion against the evil Capitol.
    3. I think in The Hunger Games it's more like a communist-like reign over the districts and the present North America is like the opposite, a liberal democracy (practically ran by the people). The book's citizens seem more responsible than the people you find in the present era due to many circumstances such as lack of food and poverty.
    4. I feel guilty (in reality) that I can't do anything to prevent such violences such as war in our world. So much ideology has entered into this materialistic world that I think we're losing our morales. There are many children who are suffering from the past's generations mistakes and lack of morales that hatred forms initiating war into our deteriorating world.
    5. I think Peeta and Katnisss' relationship seems like theirs a type of barrier between them. It seems like they understand each other in a certain sense, but fully can't trust each other due the games. From my opinion, Gale seems like an older brother and "father" that looks out for Katniss and the same goes with Katniss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Pff. Effie Trinket's an awesome name. I'd use it just because it sounds cool. But if you want a real answer, I think it's part of the theme where the author names each character after something. Her name probably is trying to tell you something about her as a character.

    2. I think Mockingjays actually mock all the people in Panem, but also bring them joy. They bring them music, but they fly free. This is just a prediction, but I think perhaps Panem may become a free place in the future where everyone can be happy. Mockingjays are just the foreshadowing of the world they'll have to fight for.

    4. I see what you did there. Yes, I actually did think about how i'm watching the Hunger Games, in a way. I don't feel guilty for it, though, since it's only fictional. Actually, it makes me realise why they do the Games in the first place. Of coarse, to the other viewers It's not as iteresting because you're not inside a contestant's head. They don't know all the strategising that's going on. But who knows, maybe it's more interesting to watch the actions rather than watch the planning and then the execution.

    5. Peeta probably doesn't measure up to Gale's presence to Katniss. He did save her life, but Gale has been by her side most of the life Peeta saved. She owes Peeta a lot, but I think Katniss just hasn't realised she likes Gale. Personally, I'd love my best friend more than someone I hardly know.

    ReplyDelete